Showing posts with label foreign. Show all posts
Showing posts with label foreign. Show all posts

Friday, May 4, 2012

Activist cries danger as China hints at solution


Blind Chinese activist Chen Guangcheng's high-profile pleas for U.S. sanctuary upped the pressure Friday on Washington and Beijing to resolve his fate, with China saying he could apply to study abroad.
Robert S. Wang, center, deputy chief of mission at the U.S. embassy in Beijing, walks with an unidentified U.S. embassy staff outside the hospital where blind activist lawyer Chen Guangcheng is recuperating in Beijing Friday, May 4, 2012. The blind Chinese activist at the center of a diplomatic standoff between the United States and China said Friday his situation is "dangerous," and that American officials have been blocked from seeing him for two days and friends who have tried to visit have been beaten up.


The slight concession, offered in a Chinese Foreign Ministry statement, pointed to a possible way out of the diplomatic standoff. Even so, he remained in a guarded Beijing hospital ward, unable to see U.S. officials. His wife's movements are being monitored, he said, and the couples with their two children feel in danger.
"I can only tell you one thing. My situation right now is very dangerous," Chen said. "For two days, American officials who have wanted to come and see me have not been allowed in." 


A self-taught lawyer and symbol in China's civil rights movement, Chen embroiled Washington and Beijing in their most delicate diplomatic crisis in years after he escaped house arrest and sought refuge in the U.S. Embassy last week. He left six days later under a negotiated deal in which he and his family was to be safely relocated in China. But he then upended the agreement by saying they wanted to go abroad.
Since his release to a Beijing hospital where he was reunited with his wife, son and daughter, Chen's calls to The Associated Press, other foreign media and friends have resonated around the world, and even become part of Washington politics in a presidential election year. 


On Thursday, he called in to a congressional hearing in Washington, telling lawmakers he wanted to meet U.S. Secretary of State Clinton, who is in Beijing for annual security talks.
"I hope I can get more help from her," Chen said.
While publicly Washington has said little and Beijing has shown little inclination to budge, contacts have taken place. Clinton met Chinese President Hu Jintao and other top leaders, though officials declined to say if Chen's case was discussed. The Foreign Ministry statement was among the first signs of progress. In it, a spokesman said Chen as a normal citizen may apply to study overseas.
"Chen Guangcheng is currently being treated in hospital. As a Chinese citizen, if he wants to study abroad he can go through the normal channels to the relevant departments and complete the formalities in accordance with the law like other Chinese citizens," the statement said without elaborating. At a later briefing spokesman Liu Weimin declined to elaborate.
While the statement only reiterates the normal rights of a Chinese citizen, it underscored the government's openness to letting him go and that Chen faces no criminal charges. Though he has lived under arrest at his rural home along with his family for 20 months, his treatment has appeared to be the retribution of local officials angry at Chen's activism.
Chen has exposed forced abortions and other abuses in his community as part of China's population controls.

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Saudis halt lashing sentence of woman driver



 

Saudis halt lashing sentence of woman driver
Member of royal family announces decision on Twitter
Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah has put a stop to the lashing of a woman who defied the kingdom's ban on female drivers, a government official said.
The official declined to elaborate. He spoke Wednesday on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to brief the media.

"Thank God, the lashing of Shaima is cancelled. Thanks to our beloved King," Saudi Princess Ameerah Al-Taweel posted on her Twitter account Wednesday. "I'm sure all Saudi women will be so happy,I know I am."
Al-Taweel is the wife of Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal Amira. Al-Taweel said in a later post on twitter the prince had confirmed the sentence had been revoked by the king.

The driver, Shaima Jastaina, driving car was sentenced on Tuesday to be lashed 10 times with a whip for a violation of the longtime driving ban for women in the ultraconservative Muslim nation.

Normally, police just stop female drivers, question them and let them go after they sign a pledge not to drive again. But dozens of women have continued to take to the roads since June in a campaign to break the taboo. 
Saudi Arabia is the only country in the world that bans women — both Saudi and foreign — from driving. The prohibition forces families to hire live-in drivers, and those who cannot afford the $300 to $400 a month for a driver must rely on male relatives to drive them to work, school, shopping or the doctor.
There are no written laws that restrict women from driving. Rather, the ban is rooted in conservative traditions and religious views that hold giving freedom of movement to women would make them vulnerable to sins.

Monday, August 1, 2011

Suicide blast at Afghan police HQ


Suicide blast at Afghan police HQ
Go to fullsize image A suicide car bomber struck outside police headquarters in the southern Afghan city of Lashkar Gah, officials said that’s Twelve policemen and a child were killed.

The attack came days after control of security in the city, the capital of Helmand province, passed from British to Afghan forces as part of a process that will see all foreign combat troops leave Afghanistan by the end of 2014.

Experts question the ability of Afghan soldiers and police to protect their country against attacks from the Taliban, who claimed responsibility for the latest blast, and other insurgents.

The interior ministry confirmed the death toll and vowed the attack would not prevent the police from battling the Taliban, leaders of a 10-year insurgency raging across the country.

In a statement on their website, the Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack in Helmand, one of the most dangerous provinces in Afghanistan and a key focus of the war for international troops.

The Taliban also claimed responsibility for that attack in a statement. Anti-government forces frequently target convoys supplying the foreign and Afghan militarizes.

Saturday, July 30, 2011

‘Fashion icon’ Hina


‘Fashion icon’ Hina 

Hina Rabbani Khar is a Pakistani politician and Minister of Foreign Affairs since 20th July 2011. She is youngest and first female Minister of Foreign Affairs of Pakistan.

She is married to Feroze Gulzar and has two daughters Annaya and Dina.

Hina Rabbani Khar was born on 19th January 1977 in Multan, Punjab, Pakistan. She is daughter of the politician Muhammad Ibrahim Arqam and niece of Ghulam Mustafa Khar.

Pakistan's youngest Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar is not pleased with her depiction by  the Indian media  as a "fashion icon".

Hina unhappy over her depiction as ‘fashion icon’

Pakistan's first woman Foreign Minister, Khar, who returned to Pakistan Thursday evening after a visit to India for talks with her counterpart S M Krishna, reacted angrily to questions pertaining to coverage of her fashion style in leading Indian dailies.

"You see paparazzi are every where. Besides, you (referring to media) should not do such acts," Khar said, replying to aquestion at the Lahore airport on her arrivalfrom India.

So irked was she at the question that she refused to take any more questions and left for Islamabad.

During her visit to New Delhi, she was the talk of the town, with the mediaclosely following her fashion accessories. Such was the focus that even TheWall Street Journal too carried a story on the Indian media's reporting of Khar's fashion style.

"She is quite a breath of fresh air for someone who comes from Pakistan, "said Shantanu of Shantanu-Nikhil, the leading fashion house in India.

She said, "Dialogue process with India should continue uninterrupted as it loses credibility when it is interrupted."

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Afghan-US 'partnership'

Afghan-US 'partnership'
Go to fullsize image Afghan President Hamid Karzai said that Afghanistan will only sign a long-term "strategic partnership" deal with Washington. United States meets Afghan conditions, including an end to controversial night raids on homes.The new US ambassador in Kabul, Ryan Crocker. US have no interest in permanent military bases in the country. 

Not want to project its influence in the region by remaining in Afghanistan.Long-term American presence in the country following the departure of all foreign combat troops by the end of 2014.
Speaking as he met defenses chiefs at his palace Karzai said Afghanistan, foreign forces working within Afghan legal rules, 

US troop not taking prisoners or maintaining jails, and an end to controversial night raids by elite commandos.
"Nato and the international community are helping our country. But this will not go on forever and we don't want it forever," Karzai said.

"We are not proud of that. The good news will come when we, Afghans, are protecting our own homeland”.
Critics have said the handover process is premature because Afghan forces are not ready to hold off the Taliban.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Best friend honored


 "Bangladesh Freedom Honor''

Bangladesh's Liberation War in 1971. "Bangladesh Freedom Honour" that’s Former Indian premier Indira Gandhi was yesterday conferred.

Her daughter-in-law also president of India's ruling Congress party, Sonia Gandhi, received the posthumous award from Bangladesh President Zillur Rahman on behalf of Indira Gandhi at a ceremony in Bangabhaban.

Indira Gandhi is the first among the foreign friends of Bangladesh to be conferred the highest state honour.

Her heartfelt thanks for the honour, Sonia recalled the tumultuous days of 1971 when her mother-in-law took a firm stance to side with the Bangalee people fighting to establish their own country.

"There can be no honour higher than the one conferred for the freedom of an oppressed people and the birth of a great nation," she said.

She said she came to Bangladesh not just to visit another country.
"Memories and emotions flood my mind. My husband and I were present at the airport along with Indira Ji amid massive crowds on the historic morning on January 10, 1972, when Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman was welcomed in Delhi on his way to his newly free country," recalled Sonia.

"On Bangabandhu's request, she withdrew the Indian soldiers within three months of Bangladesh's independence. That was a unique gesture of Mrs Indira Gandhi," PM Hasina said.

Indira Gandhi during Bangladesh's struggle for liberation. Both Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and Sonia Gandhi saw the pictures with curiosity.